"Sew" I've been doing some sewing in the past month. I made a nursing cover for my friend Shannon out in Texas and a little sweater dress for Laney. I'm not quite done with the dress, but here are a few pictures. I mailed the nursing cover to Shannon for Valentine's Day!

7 comments:
Okay, so how did you make the dress? It is too cute!! Of course, you have a really cute model!
How much will it cost me to have a sweater dress made for Lana? I ADORE the argyle. Just awesome, Hollie!
E-mail me - let's plan a weekend Walmart Widows date!
So, the sweater dress....
Honestly, it was so easy. I wasn't really concerned with being so precise with my measurements. In fact, I didn't measure anything. I just took a dress of Laney's to give me an idea on arm length and the length of the dress, and then I whipped out my scissors and started cutting while watching Dance War last Monday. Flipped it inside out and started sewing. I did cut off the collar and reattached it to the dress so Laney could have a collar around the back, but I had to tweek it a bit. It's not perfect AT ALL...and if you look closely, you'll see the little errors, but for me, I don't care b/c it was free and this is how I learn. what better way to learn? i still have to cuff the sleeves with the ribbing that will come from the bottom of the sweater. She'll soon outgrow it, so maybe the next baby will be a girl and she can wear it.
Concerning price....free!! If you can just get ahold of an old sweater from your closet, from any one of your relatives' closets, or from Good Will, and bring it over. I have found Cashmere sweaters from Good Will for less than $5.00. I prefer a dress made of wool or a wool blend of at least 80% wool. Cashmere is fine too. Acrylic would work, but I just like natural fibers. Now, who knows how it will turn out. Ha! It might not be good. I'm just learning how to sew and to be honest with you, looking at patterns seems hard to read, but if I just eye ball it, I seem to do better for some reason. So, you're taking a risk, but if anything...it could be a fun dress to play dress up, if it turns out bad. Ha! Your call! But I'd love to do it for you Rachel. I would also need a dress of Lana's so as to get a gist of the measurements.
Tag!! You're it! Check out our blog for instructions!!
ashley
You've got to be kidding me. I was actually just going to email you and ask you if you had any idea how to make those covers...because I am planning to make one for a S.S. lady. I actually have one that a friend bought and sent me...okay, totally going to email you to see what you used to make the stiff part with, etc.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my nursing cover!! It was a great Valentine's Day surprise. I love that it's light-weight, so Lilly and I don't start sweating, and I love the boning in the top, so it stays open and I can see her. So cute! Hollie did a really outstanding job.
Hols, I'm glad you took pictures of it so you could show everyone your work.
The sweater dress is super cute too!
I just made one of these nursing covers, but I wanted to see what you used for the boning part at the top?
Post a Comment